Hi Neal,

I am sorry that you find the WSJT-X User Guide vague and unclear.

There is no description as to how many local station editions are sufficient, or if we should delete ALL frequencies that are difficult to receive locally.   How many WWV and local broadcast stations
are enough?

One size does not fit all. By intent we encourage users to think about what they are doing and examine accumulated measurements carefully, rather than blindly follow some list of instructions.

As stated in the User Guide, you can do a "pretty good" calibration with only one or two calibration frequencies -- say WWV at 5 and 10 MHz. You can do a better job, recognize and eliminate outlier measurements, and gain more confidence in the results by using more frequency calibrators.

    1.  What mode does the transceiver need to be in?

The same mode you use for all WSJT-X operation.

    2.   Does the cycle really start when I select the Execute Cal menu choice, or do I then need to
           check the MESAURE tick box on screen before it really starts?

Not sure what you find unclear.  As the manual states:

"To cycle automatically through your chosen list of calibration frequencies, check *Execute frequency calibration cycle* on the *Tools* menu."

"To start a measurement session check the *Measure* option and let the calibration cycle run for at least one complete sequence."

C.  In this portion:
/To start a measurement session check the Measure option and let the calibration cycle run for at least one complete sequence. Note that, while measuring, any existing calibration parameters are automatically disabled so *you may have to increase the FTol range if your rig is off freqeuncy by more than a few Hertz*
in order to capture valid measurements./

So, presumably the user is doing this calibration because they have NO IDEA how far off their rig might be.  So what is a safe/decent starting point for the FTol range for new users?

Again, you need to think about what you are doing. Look at the waterfall while the calibration sequence is running. Compare your display with the waterfall example shown in Section 13.1 of the User Guide. Your calibration signals should be easily visible, like those in the example. Increasse FTol if necessary to include them all.

/After running Execute frequency calibration cycle at least once with good results, check and edit the file fmt.all in the log directory and delete any spurious or outlier measurements./[which is below the line fitting graph
shown on page 69]
Two questions;
      1.  After running?   How do you stop it?

Cycling is stopped by unchecking *Execute frequency calibration cycle* on the *Tools* menu. Recording measurements is stopped by unchecking the *Measure* box.

      2.  Delete any spurious measurement?   OK,  How do I know what is considered a spurious measurement?

The manual's advice is "check and edit the file fmt.all in the log directory and delete any spurious or outlier measurements." You must necessarily be the data-quality judge. Again, think about what you are doing, and why. Do all the measurements for a given calibrator agree to within (say) 1 Hz or better? Are there any outliers, or cases with relatively low S/N?

           After managing to stop or get the app to lock up, I  opened fmt.all.  There is not an example extract of the log shown in the doc, but mine has Df's that vary as much as +/- 18 hz.  What is normal?  Is that too much?

Yes, that's far too much.

Evidently you have made no use of the document
https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FMT_User.pdf, which users are advised to consult for further details.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT