Hi Frank,
I've been running wsjt-x 1.8.0 on a rpi3 for weeks now, using a neat
qrp-labs receiver variant. FT8 decodes takes about 5-10 seconds on a busy
band. Speculations follow:
What kind of sound card are you running ? I'm guessing USB. If so then
there's certainly a possibility of USB problems or the soundcard itself,
certainly if it's a cheapie. This should however produce messages in
dmesg/messages.
My setup uses a audio-injector zero that connects through the 40-pin header
and uses the i2s protocol. It has been working nicely with just a few
hiccups reported in dmesg, but never stopped running or required any action.
I think it would be a good test to try changing at least the sound card, or
other stuff to analyze in which direction the problem may be.
One problem I have is that there's a lot of orphaned .wav-files left after
decode, it's a problem because I use /tmp (50MB) as the storage for these
to avoid writing lots of stuff to the microSD. The workaround is a
cleanup-script executed periodically with crontab.

73's and good luck