The USB hardware on the Pi, all versions afaik, is kind of lacking. I've
had lots of problems running SDR's, ranging from rtl-sdr, funcube to hackrf
etc. No HF involved at all, not even located in the shack. They all had
stability issues that cause the data to be halted for some reason. Tested
mostly with gqrx. Some of the problems sounded like a usb hub could
relieve, I didn't have one at the time but read that this could have an
effect as well as kernels/parameters.
Of course, software cannot fix hardware problems, but perhaps detect issues
and retry the connection to see if it comes alive. Would it be possible to
count lost samples and reconnect ? Or is this already in the code (monitor
off) ?