Hi Jay, Ned, and all,

On 5/30/2018 8:57 PM, Jay Hainline KA9CFD wrote:
We had a big opening to JA today on 6m. Some of the contacts were over
10,000 km and I have heard some ops report their WSJT-X software would hang
up asking if they want to switch to contest mode. Apparently the program
sees the grid from JA and thinks they are in contest mode? I don't have much
more details. Maybe someone can chime in or advise if this would be a bug
that needs fixed.

Jay Hainline  KA9CFD

Ned AA7A wrote:
This happened to me at the most inopportune time. I was sending a signal report
to DS4AOW for a ATNO on 6m and it sent a NA Contest TX3 exchange instead of
what was expected. The only way I could clear the problem was to change the
mode to to anything other than FT8 and then back to get the right TX3 message.
While I was sorting that all out, the band faded and I did not complete.

It's rare to hear stations over 10 KM, so this is a hard thing to test.

Jay KA9CFD wrote:
 Hopefully the developers will have some insight. I never have like the idea of
using the opposite side of the world grid to represent an R-grid contest
report. Causes confusion for non-contesters, and some bad side effects
apparently. :-)

Contesters pleaded for an easy way to send "R+grid" rather than "R+rpt" in the message sequence. They wanted this feature in both MSK144 and FT8. FT8 has three extra information bits in its message payload, not all of which are (yet) used. MSK144 does not have these extra bits. There is no foolproof, satisfy-everybody, mode-independent way to squeeze "R+grid" messages along with all other standard message features in a 72-bit packet.

We therefore decided to use the "antipode grid" method of conveying "R+grid". QSOs on VHF bands over distances greater than 10,000 kkm using MSK144 and FT8 are expected to be rare.

When you're lucky enough to be working East Asia on 6m, using WSJT-X v1.9, just hit "No" when asked if you should be in contest mode.

In any future (or possibly enhanced) modes we will most likely reserve a few additional bits for message types that solve this problem (as well as Rover callsigns and a few other nagging issues of message structure) in a better way. The necessary price will be a small (less than 1 dB) loss of sensitivity.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT