Hmmm...Ok, I guess the FT-450D doesn't QSY.  I followed your instructions
Bill and VFO-B stayed right where it was at the beginning of the test.  I
also observed the signal on my Elecraft PX3 panadapter and the initial
transmit frequency did not move, even though both of the wsjtx waterfall
transmit and receive markers moved > 500 hz from the initial tx spot.

I guess I was fooled into thinking that I qsy'ed away from the frequency I
was on when in fact I was still transmitting on that previous frequency.
Shame on me.  Perhaps all this did was set me up for the next transmission
to be in the right spot so as not to qrm the previous spot in the
passband.  Sadly, that won't help with initial transmission.  I will have
to change my operating approach.

Next I went in reverse and transmitted using the KX3 and watched on the
wsjtx instance connected to the FT-450D.  The KX3 definitely qsy'ed.  But
there was something weird that happened.  I started the Tx at 900 hz on the
wsjtx connected to the KX3.  I let wsjtx Tx for a few seconds, then QSY'ed
to 2500hz.  The wsjtx (attached to the FT-450D) waterfall showed 2400hz for
about 1-2 seconds and then shifted and landed on 2500hz for the remainder
of the 13s Tx cycle.  Note: I am running wsjtx v1.9.1 on the KX3 and v2 rc5
on the FT-450D.

I tried "fake it" on the FT-450D's wsjtx instance.  Different behaviour
observed on the PX3.  The initial transmission started at 600hz and then I
qsy'ed to 2500hz, the signal changed frequency in the passband, but only by
~350-400hz (to about 950hz).  I tried in the reverse direction, started the
wsjtx instance attached to the FT-450D at 2500hz and then qsy'ed to
1100hz.  Again, the jump was about 400hz to 2100hz.  The fake-it setting
had a more profound effect than rig split on the FT-450D, but still didn't
move to the place where the wsjtx waterfall markers were.

Fake it also has the side effect that if I stop a Tx quickly after starting
it (say 3-4 seconds), the FT-450D rig frequency is not reset from the value
chosen by the fake-it algorithm.  I much prefer the rig split for the
FT-450D rig.  Bill, you and I have spoken previously about the FT-450D not
resetting the frequency during fake it.  No need to rehash that.

P.S.  I tried to change the band on the FT-450D front panel during xmit and
it would not let me; in-band seemed ok, but out of band no-go.  Doesn't
really matter as I don't manually change frequency or bands on the rig
directly.  I always let wsjtx do that.

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW