From: Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 2:25:51 PM
To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] DT, exactly what does it mean?

On 04/12/2018 22:11, David Fisher wrote:
I see “DT” values that range from about 0.0 to about 0.5 in my system.   Does
this mean that, on average, my system clock is a little slow, or a little fast?

I’ve searched the documentation.  It explains that the column of numbers show
the difference between the signal and the system’s time, but it doesn’t explain
if the calculation is “signal – system” or “system – signal”.

FWIW, my guess is that the value is “system – signal” and that the 200 or 300ms
delta is due to signal processing delays in the radio.  In my case, 2 to 300 ms
processing delays could be considered about right, given the DSP filtering.

Thanks.

Dave / NX6D

The DT figure is the measured difference between your PC clock and the sync of
a decoded signal. A positive DT implies that the signal clock is behind yours.
Positive components of the DT are the sender's clock being slow, and
propagation delay. Also contributing are latencies including audio buffering
and other processing delay which can be at either of both ends of the link and
like propagation delay can only increase the DT, net clock difference can
contribute a negative or a positive DT component.