Folks,

I am proposing to use a somewhat unorthodox frequency for F/H mode on 160m
from Tonga in September in order to allow both JA and the rest of the world
to call us in F/H mode. My current thinking is to use 1810kHz dial (USB).
This means that the fox transmissions will be between 1810.3-1810.5kHz and
the hounds will be above 1811kHz.

However, my question is - can Japanese amateurs transmit digital modes in
that part of 160m?

My Rationale for choosing 1810kHz is based on the following:

.         Region 2 & 3 have 1800-1810 as a digital modes band segment - and
using 1810-1814 as an adjacent segment effectively pushing an extension of
the regional digital modes segments seems logical on what is otherwise the
lesser used part of the CW segment (at least as observed from VK - so please
correct me if this assumption is wrong)

.         In Region 3 if JA amateurs can transmit FT8 on 1810-1814kHz then
we have found a new universal segment for this mode that all regions
including Region 1 can use simultaneously - making a more efficient 160m
operation and avoiding needing to spend some time up in the 1908kHz JA
segment (which we can transmit on direct from Tonga - but which locks out
several other region 3 countries - including VK.

Feedback Welcome - especially from any JA amateur who can advice what the
regulatory status of JA's transmitting digital FT8 is between 1811-1814kHz
and from any amateurs in Europe and north America who can comment on how
active CW traffic really is this low in the band? (personally I have seen it
down to ~1818kHz but rarely if any below that).

Regards,

Grant VK5GR - Expedition leader A35JT

https://vk5gr-iota.net/