Hi Mike,

as others have suggested, AP decoding will raise the probability of false decodes a little. One thing you can do to reduce the false decode probability is to ensure the DX Call filed is cleared when you are not working or attempting to work another station. You can check the option in "Settings->Reporting" to clear it automatically after logging a QSO, for abandoned QSOs you can use the F4 or ESC shortcut keys to clear the DX Call, DX Grid and generated messages. The reason that clearing the DX Call filed helps is that AP decoding is context sensitive and with a DX Call field populated the decoder will hypothesis that messages that cannot be decoded with FEC alone contain that DX Call. When the DX Call field is cleared only CQ is hypothesised which will reduce he probability of false decodes.

False decodes are rare but always possible because of the stochastic nature of the decoders and the requirement to decode the weakest signals possible. You also have the option to disable AP decoding, and reducing the decoding depth which will also reduce the false decode probability with some lose of sensitivity.

On 26/04/2019 16:46, Mike Oakley wrote:
FT8 and all bands. It just pops up.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 11:28 AM Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com <mailto:g4...@classdesign.com>> wrote:

    On 26/04/2019 16:04, Mike Oakley wrote:
    > I continue to get false decodes everyday even when I am not
    > transmitting, for example today I cut my rig on and loaded the
    > software and then I got a false decode before anything even
    popped on
    > my screen. Can someone tell me why I am getting these and how do I
    > stop them?

    Mike,

    which mode are you monitoring and on which band?