Re: To wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net 2019-04-30
<20190430070450.gb28...@msg.df7cb.de>
> > your assumption is correct, unexplained rig control errors are a sign of
> > serious CAT issues. Which rig, what error inc. details, what settings?
>
> IC706 (not MK-something), via rigctld.
>
> With FT8/2.0.1, I have never had it randomly jump bands, or change
> frequency, it would just occasionally disable TX, sometimes without a
> popup, sometimes with a popup. That level of problems was manageable
> and not even really annoying. I can share error details once I'm back
> at home tonight.

Unchecking the WSPR band hopping checkbox fixed the random band
changes for me as well. I'm now also back to a bearable amount of rig
communication errors, so FT4 is actually usable now.

The error detail varies a bit, one example is Rig Communication Error:
Hamlib error: Communication timed out while opening connection to rig

I've also seen "Hamlib error: Communication timed out while sending
frequency to rig" (paraphrased)

On a side note, QSO success rate feels lower than on FT8; there were
several stations that didn't hear me while their signal was clearly
visible on the waterfall. Reliable communication was possible with
stations with positive signal readings, or maybe better than -4.
Everything below that was difficult, though some -10 stations worked
as well. On FT8, everything better than -12 is often a guarantee for
success, everything below -18 is a gamble. (I'm probably exaggerating
the readings a bit, but it does feel like the difference is more than
the 4.x dB announced in the whitepaper.)

Thanks,
Christoph

PS: 2.1.0-rc5 uploaded to Debian/experimental