From: Martin Davies G0HDB <marting0...@gmail.com>
Sent: 07 July 2019 11:27
To: WSJT software development <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] FT8 ghost signals

On 6 Jul 2019 at 16:06, Rich Zwirko - K1HTV wrote:

> Here in the Mid-Atlantic, a number of 6 Meter FT8 DXers have observed
> backscatter signals that appear as a 2nd or even a 3rd signal on the
> WSJT-X Wide Graph window. The Doppler shifted frequency is usually
> lower than the direct signal. In addition to the directly received FT8
> signal appearing on the waterfall display, at times both direct signal
> as well as one or more of the reflected backscatter Doppler shifted
> signals can be decoded. The DF between the main and ghost signals is
> usually between 40 and 130 Hz. The average appears to be around negative 70
> Hz.
>
> When these ghost signals are observed, they are usually noted on
> multi-KW
> FT8 signals produced by stations in the Mid-Atlantic region that are
> beaming towards highly ionization Es regions. These extra waterfall
> signals can last a few minutes then quickly disappear. I have not
> observed them when there is no Es opening. They don't appear to be the
> result of signals being reflected off aircraft.

Hi Rich, why do you believe the 'ghost' signals that are being observed aren't
caused by reflections off aircraft?

I very regularly see, and FT8 will decode, a second and sometimes even a third
signal from nearby stations that are within a few miles of my QTH; on my
waterfall I can see the direct signal and also the secondary signal(s) that
almost always have a clearly discernible slant on them, indicating that the
cause of the secondary signal is Doppler shift from a moving object.

In my experience the secondary signal(s) can be either higher or lower in
frequency, by some indeterminate amount, than the direct signal so they're not
artefacts resulting from 50/60Hz power-line modulation of the FT8 audio signal,
and the +ve or -ve offset of the secondary
signal(s) from the direct signal will presumably indicate the direction of
travel of the moving point of reflection.

IMO there's no almost doubt that such 'ghost' signals are caused by reflections
off aircraft; I suppose it's theoretically possible that a very fast-moving
cloud of Es ionisation could cause the same effect but I would guess that such
clouds don't move at similar speeds to aircraft!

---
Martin, G0HDB

---