You might also want to read 97.221

On Aug 19, 2019 1:30 PM, "David A. Behar" <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Andy,

Here is the actual text of relevant FCC rules:

Automatic control. The use of devices and procedures for control of a station
when it is transmitting so that compliance with the FCC Rules is achieved
without the control operator being present at a control point.
Source: 47 CFR
97.3<https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se47.5.97_13&rgn=div8>(6)

Control point. The location at which the control operator function is performed.
Source: 47 CFR
97.3<https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se47.5.97_13&rgn=div8>(14)

Local control. The use of a control operator who directly manipulates the
operating adjustments in the station to achieve compliance with the FCC Rules.
Source: 47 CFR
97.3<https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se47.5.97_13&rgn=div8>(31)

Remote control. The use of a control operator who indirectly manipulates the
operating adjustments in the station through a control link to achieve
compliance with the FCC Rules.
Source: 47 CFR
97.3<https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se47.5.97_13&rgn=div8>(39)

When a station is being remotely controlled, the control operator must be at
the control point. Any station may be remotely controlled.
Source: 47 CFR
97.109<https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?r=SECTION&n=se47.5.97_1109>(c)

Bottom line: if the control operator is "present at a control point" --
regardless of whether the station is operated via "local control" or "remote
control", and regardless of whether under normal conditions a computer is
performing all functions without human intervention -- in the context of the
FCC rules it's not "automatic control".

The defining criterion is whether the control operator is present at a control
point.

David A. Behar, M.B.A.,
M.S.E.<https://www.seattleu.edu/scieng/computer-science/graduate/mse/>
Member Mensa<https://www.us.mensa.org/learn/about/>, Triple Nine
Society<http://triplenine.org/WhatisTNS.aspx>,
ISPE<https://www.thethousand.com/>

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 10:53 AM Jim Shorney