Personally, I don't see how weak signal work and contesting are ain the least mutually exclusive.  I've done a lot of contesting and being able to work more weak ones is a huge advantage.  Even more relevant, I'm convinced that the format of FT8/4 encourages a lot more hams to participate in contesting for reasons I've pointed out before:

1.  Decoding is either there or not and all signals are (supposedly) spread out as if everyone was operating split, which means that a weaker signal has a similar chance of being able to make a contact as a stronger one.  FT8 is a playing field leveler.

2.  The fixed format of FT8/4 makes "running" far less intimidating for casual operators than for other modes.

The fact is that the appeal of FT8/4 for contesting goes beyond its weak signal capability.

In any case, the WSJT manual says:

"Standard messages consist of two 28-bit fields normally used for callsigns and a 15-bit field for a grid locator, report, acknowledgment, or 73."

It is true that my earlier suggestion would require 16 bits, but 15 bits (per above) still offers 32,768 possibilities ... more than enough to cover every "county"on earth, I think.

By the way, I'm not stomping for WSJT to be able to handle QSO parties.   I'm just trying to understand why it would be a problem.

73,
Dave   AB7E