From: Bill Somerville [mailto:g4...@classdesign.com]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 6:55 PM
To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] WSJT-X 2.1.2 Status File Error

On 17/12/2019 00:41, Dan Malcolm wrote:
> Thanks Jim.
>
> Yes I do have Malwarebytes and an anti-virus running but both have the temp
> WSJT-X folder and file exempted.  It probably is something that's running but
> if WSJT-X can't find that directory inside a temp directory, it should just
> re-create it.  Temp folders and files are by their nature volatile and
> temporary.
>
> __________
> Dan - K4SHQ
> CFI/II

Dan,

this sort of error can happen on Windows when one application holds a file or
directory open while another deletes a parent directory. Windows appears to
complete the deletion of the directory but the directory is invisibly preserved
until the first application closes the file or directory it has open. There is
no problem with this until a new application instance tries to recreate the
deleted directory which then fails. WSJT-X deletes it's temporary directory and
contents upon exit and creates it on entry. I guess some other application is
holding that directory or a directory or file under it open and interfering
with WSJT-X's best efforts to use it's own temporary files.

Temporary files are not volatile by nature, they are simply files that are
created and used by an application until it has finished with them.
They should not be opened by other applications which have no business meddling
with internal WSJT-X data.