For a general purpose shack computer it makes sense to buy all the horsepower
and RAM you can afford. I've tried to run WSJT-X on an underpowered computer in
a club shack and it wasn't pretty. Having said that, my shack box is an 8 year
old dual core i5 laptop with 16G RAM and terabyte SSD running Kubuntu 18.04 and
so far it's been fast enough to handle everything I throw at it with grace.
Older hardware is fine as long as it's fast enough.

73

-Jim
NU0C