I agree that much of the problem with NIL's is due to operator error and confusion, but in my opinion a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that the contest sponsors have allowed too much crossover between folks who are actually in the contest and non-contesters who just happened to be caught up in it.  FT8 and FT4 have a broad appeal and not all participants have a good feel for contesting, even though they might have turned in a log.  I would be a ton of money that if everyone who made a contact in any of the contests mentioned in your link had turned in a log that the NIL rate would be several percentage points higher.

In my opinion, a lot of the confusion would be avoided if FT8 and FT4 contests stayed away from the general use frequencies.

73,
Dave   AB7E