From: Stephen Ireland <vk3...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 11 May 2020 6:35 AM
To: WSJT software development <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Coming soon: WSJT-X 2.2.0-rc1

William,

Thanks for the response as it is highly appreciated not just by me but I am
sure that the many asking these questions of me for guidance with appreciate
your response.

Yes Qt 5.13 does have defects … and in my informed opinion MUST NOT BE USED!
Yet the JTSDK is not mine to go tinkering with too heavily; all I do is provide
guidance to and examples for many (frustrated others) that are keen to
understand – keen to get The JTSDK 3.1 building code. Greg KI7MT does refer to
5.13.0 – when some mirrored installer repositories across the planet only
guarantee all versions of the LTS versions (all 5.12.x series) and the latest
of the 5.13 and 5.14 series Qt SDK’s !

The decision for my educational “experimental” scripts to reference the master
repositories was also based on suggestions received background from lots of
sources. There are many hundreds of Amateurs and non-Amateurs alike that use
the JTSDK not just for WSJT-X development …  SDK’s I believe should be
standardised to “master” releases of libraries and support code. Just to
compliment the HAMLIB developer team, I find that current “master” code
provides infinitely better support for many common radios (i.e. the FT-991 that
I use here).

Likewise software should always be standardised to “snapshotted” libraries and
versions of those standard libraries. If one chooses to use later versions,
then well and good  - but at their own risk and should expect grrr’s from
support communities !

Some of the issues I have noted that frustrate many here in the “WSJT Software
Developers” lists are related to people NOT using standard versions of
packages; you and Joe have said almost tirelessly that standard versions of
packages for developing “JT-mode code” on Windows are the JTSDK 3.0 and 3.1 .
Work there has been static … and I have just provided some experimental
resources to kick off other HAM’s learning processes.

I fully compliment you on, acknowledge, note and had already observed that your
HAMLIB repository synchronises with the master repository…

With regards to the JTSDK I have stated repeatedly I do not want to tinker too
much with Greg KI7MT’s work and add in new facilities… I loathe “forking”
anyone’s repo unless it becomes extremely necessary (and I will NOT do it
alone). Amateurs mostly are of age or have health issues; what happens if
someone “falls off the perch”? Forking a project as we know creates minefields
with referencing, acknowledgements etc. Putting my “experiments” into a
GIT-pull is difficult (yet not insurmountable) as some replacement scripts need
to be put into end-user MSYS2 home directories – names that are NOT
standardised across User’s Windows Environs. Tricks and mess is what I am
trying to avoid.

All new that I have added in is a “whome” DOSKEY to take you to the base of the
C:\JTSDK64\tmp\wsjtx directory to assist with wsjtx and jtdx “git pull”
commands. In my opinion that has even crossed the mark !!!

Based on your clear advisory here I may need to (reluctantly) demonstrate Greg
KI7MT’s techniques and demonstrate a “build-hamlib.sh” script that searches for
a “marker file” in the JTSDK profile directory for JTSDK 3.0 and
“C:\JTSDK64-Tools\config” for JTSDK 3.1 that indicates whether Hamlib
repositories are to be pulled from your GIT fork or from the master repository
in a later “experiment” release – when time permits.

PLEASE do not take what I am about to say the wrong way as it is not an attack
at your work or what you are doing  … really we only should be pulling key
library code from one source as having mixtures of library code with slightly
different interfaces can have long lasting and unforeseen consequences down the
track (as we all have experienced in the past) !

I restate that my interest in this was sparked as I customise WSJT-X (and JTDX)
for VERY disabled people that I work with; I also use the JTSDK for other
projects that I work on. I am far from alone in using it this way.

Source, in my opinion, should not be released compliant with standardised
“bastardised” sets of libraries - though a “reference” snapshot (provided with
the source) at a particular point in time is always a great idea !
Code should always be maintained and compatible with the latest library
enhancements; likewise libraries should never stray from core functions !

73 and again thanks. Keep up the amazing work !

Steve I
VK3VM / VK3SIR