On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 2:05 PM Gary McDuffie <mcduf...@ag0n.net> wrote:

> If you call letting him know that you got his acknowledgement of your
> report a courtesy, I guess so.  I call it a necessity in order to allow him
> to move on.  If I don’t send the 73, it means I didn’t get his RR73.  If he
> doesn’t finish, he isn’t in the log.

If you didn't get his RR73 (Tx4), certainly the thing to do is to resend
your report (Tx3), no?

On the other hand, if you did get his RR73, you can consider the QSO
completed, and respond in whatever way you want. At least, that's the view
I've come to after using the FT* modes since they were invented. Was it
"really" a QSO? I'll let LoTW or the contest logcheck software sort it out.

A special case is when I see a station I've worked sending RR73 again. That
shows they're probably expecting a 73 from me and didn't get it. So in that
case I'll send 73 (Tx5, which is totally customizable, there's even a TX
Macros page in Settings that lets you create a whole library of them). But
that almost never happens anymore.

73, Paul K6PO