Guess I was recalling the wrong reason for the RR73 then....
What is the history?

    On Thursday, May 21, 2020, 08:55:50 AM CDT, Bill Somerville
<g4...@classdesign.com> wrote:

 On 21/05/2020 14:33, Black Michael via wsjt-devel wrote:
> The whole intent of RR73 was for meteor scatter QSOs which can take a
> really long time.  So RR73 eliminates one exchange that can take minutes.
>

> Mike W9MDB

Mike,

that's not correct. With MS the RRR then 73 is necessary so both
stations know when to stop transmitting. There may be many periods in an
MS QSO when nothing is copied. These days it is common to inform your
QSO partner via a back channel, Ping Jockey or ON4KST IRC for example,
so that everyone can stop. Once an RRR message has been received the QSO
is complete and it is allowed to confirm that by some other means than a
73 message on air. This breaks the potential loop of not knowing that a
73 message has been received, and so on ad infinitum.