>From: David Smith <dsm...@mypchelp.com>
>To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] clock offset / fudge adjustment,
>    automatic/manual
>
>To clarify my use case and some reasoning:
>
>1) Since WSJT is highly dependent on clock accuracy, there should be a way
>to either manually or automatically sync the clock to received stations.
WSJT depends on YOUR system clock being correctly set, not the clock settings
of other stations.
Setting YOUR system clock to the correct time is trivial.
>2) I'm not suggesting at all that WSJT modify the system clock. In fact, my
>suggestion is that WSJT leave the system clock alone, and that we add a
>feature that allows offset to the system clock.
If YOUR clock is correctly set, there is no need to do anything else.
>3) Using other devices or software to do this for you adds complexity that
>isn't necessary; ntpd, chrony, GPS, all of these add new dependencies and
>fiddles/adjustments that make using WSJT more complicated to use.
Computer systems already have "other devices or software" to set the system
clockcorrectly and they have absolutely nothing to do with WSJT or how
complicated it isto operate WSJT. In fact, if the system clock is correctly
set, that is one less thingthat needs "fiddles" to use WSJT. There are many
things in a computer that dependon the date and time setting to some degree of
accuracy besides WSJT.

>4) Really the main problem to solve here is portable operation.  Adding
>more software, or more hardware, to solve this problem uses more power and
>reduces battery life.
A USB GPS receiver draws at most a few tens of milliamps, hardly a power burden
forportable operation. It will also keep the system clock correctly set when
not operatingportable. The power required to run the software is so small it is
not measurable.
>5) potentially, allowing an automatic offset adjustment within the software
>itself to average the clocks of received stations has the potential to
>completely eliminate the need for "accurate clocks" across the board. Of
>course, this is assuming everyone using FT8 (as an example) was using WSJT
>or software capable of this automatic adjustment.  If I'm not mistaken
>(which is entirely possible) clocks could be off by minutes, hours, days,
>etc, as long as the second hand lines up with received stations.
And your QSO records would also be off by minutes, hours, days; not a good idea.
You seem have some kind of fixation on avoiding setting your system clock to
thecorrect time which I totally fail to understand.
The software to keep system clocks correctly set has been around for over 35
yearsand cheap GPS receivers have been available for many years now; this is
NOT bleedingedge technology.
As the problem of setting a computer system clock to the correct time was
solveddecades ago, you are beating a dead horse.