* - Building on what platform?  Windows, Linux, macOS, or other? *

SuSE Linux Enterprise 15.3 (15.4 Beta), Debian 11, Experimental on FreeBSD 13.   Created and made available shell scripts to create and configure the development environment on *nix systems.

* - What are your particular programming skills and interests? *

Configuration, deployment, documentation, beta test.   Primary interest is in Weak Signal work, and work towards promoting the Weak Signal modes Q65, JT9, and JT65.

* - Are you making changes to the code?  If so, toward what end? *

Yes.   Modifications for customized user interface to fit MY workflow.   Removed or disabled superfluous fluff "features" that are covered by third party supporting software such as Gridtracker, or JTAlert.   No need to waste processor time doing things more than once.    "Split" is a major annoyance, put it back to the way it originally was back in 1.6.   Corrected some outdated documentation.

* - What portions of the code have you studied well enough to understand? *

Most all of it.  I don't care for coding but understand and do it to serve my own purpose IAW the GPL.

When I started work on WSJT some 21 years ago, my principal goal was to help bring amateur weak-signal communication techniques into the twenty-first century -- and in doing so, to help spread knowledge of modern communication theory into the amateur radio community.

By 2005 WSJT was well established but mostly used for special purposes like meteor scatter and EME ("moonbounce").  A stable development path had been established: the program was fully Open Source, licensed under the GNU General Public License, and it could be built by anyone from source code using freely available compilers and development tools.  At this time WSJT was coded in a combination of Python, Fortran, and C.  A re-write in 2012 created the present program, WSJT-X, using the Qt platform and C++ language in addition to Fortran and C.

To help gauge the extent to which my original educational goals are being met, we in the core development team are interested to know how many WSJT-X users are currently building the program for themselves, from source code.  If you are doing so, we would appreciate an email response -- either publicly, to this list, or in a private email to me. All responses will be appreciated, but particular things you might want to mention in your message include these:

 - Building on what platform?  Windows, Linux, macOS, or other?

 - What are your particular programming skills and interests?

 - Are you making changes to the code?  If so, toward what end?

 - What portions of the code have you studied well enough to understand?

Many thanks -- I look forward to hearing from you!

    -- 73, Joe, K1JT