Hi All,

What Dave is proposing needs only WSJT-X no other logging program. BUT to make
it work he needs to start WSJT-X from zero as the new grid information is based
on the used wsjtx_log.adi file. It mean he needs to rename the wsjtx_log.adi
file to something else e.g. wsjtx_log_230329.adi. After re-starting WSJT-X
there are no stations worked before. If the only interested item is new grid,
then in Colors only that it selected, perhaps per band and mode depending on
the special event.

So you’ll have a nice tool for the special event. A new wsjtx_log.adi file will
be generated at the first contest QSO logging. (I don’t know whether the new
grid information works also for the VHF EU contest using six character grids.)

After the contest you may need to do some cleaning or data arrangements
depending what you want to see after the special event in normal FT8/FT4
working. You may just rename the new wsjtx_log.adi to e.g
wsjtx_log_contest_XYZ_2023.adi and forget which stations and grids your worked
in the special event or you just copy the new wsjtx_log.adi into your renamed
wsjtx_log.adi file without the new header line or lines and rename it into
wsjtx-log.adi (or other way round as then no need for renaming). You need also
reset the Colors into your normal preferences. After restarting or Rescanning
in the Colors window you are ready to continue normal working.

Well, you may also use a different –rig name instead of renaming the
wsjtx_log.adi file, see FAQ. Also a different Configuration helps in the
contest frequencies and Colors settings.

I have used that method in my contesting, but I am not a eager contester or
special event participant.

Well, all that can be done by an external contest soft such as N1MM with much
less hassle, when you have learned how to. Only issue is whether the actual
wish “new grid” automatic calling can be implemented in those logging programs
so that the existing grid information in the wsjtx_log.adi file is not
disturbing. Or have I missed something?

73, Reino OH3mA