I do not have a FT-991a, however I use other Yaesu's incl a FTDX-101MP and FT-897d etc.

On all these and others I set alc for a slight lift off rest point ~2%, with audio feed level (wsjtx TX pwr) and sound  level set,

at desired drive power at ext power meter.

I use rig split and find the modulated power very even across the 3KHz pan used for TX.

Do you have another txcr you can test with the same software ?

73

Adrian ... vk4tux