On 6/1/06, Lillis, Dara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time getting my watir and ruby versions synchronized on the various machines I use for developing and running tests. I am now using:

Ruby 1.8.2-15 Stable Release
watir-1.5.1.1017

Is this the right (or at least a "good") Ruby version to use with the latest Watir? I scoured watir.com and the wiki for recommendations on this but couldn't find any.

That should be fine.

Anway, I am now receiving the "RPC Server unavailable" message intermittently when running tests. I found an old discussion on this ( http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/wtr-general/2006-January/004634.html ) where Bret recommends:

"1. Add time delays between the ie.close and ie.new or ie.start. This will
give a chance for the ie.close to really close.
2. Don't close IE -- just reuse the existing client between tests.
3. Create an additional IE. As long as this lives, the IE server will
continue to live and you can close and create IE windows without worry.

I presume you are using Watir 1.4. The watir library in HEAD uses option 3
to avoid this problem."

Am I seeing a different problem since I'm using watir-1.5? Or is it the same thing? If it is the same thing, how do I do #3?

Good question.

Option 3 was causing problems when it was enabled by default, so i turned it off. You can turn it back on with

  Watir::IE.persist_ole_connection = true

This is an as yet undocumented feature.

Please let us know whether this helps. Or whether it creates other problems. I wish i remember the exact problems that lead me to turn it off.

Bret