You can wait in a loop till the select box is loaded or use some kind of
indicators like in gamil the top right corner of window reads

In your case you can wait for the control itself

#while the control exists is false sleep

while(!ie.select_list( :name , "criteria[1][type_id]").exists?)

sleep(2)

end

#the select box is loaded now

go ahead with other operations.

If some text is displayed on the page as result of ajax call, you can also
check for that

while(!isMessageDisplayed("text displayed on page"))

end

#The Ajax control is loaded

end

Hope this helps.