I use eclipse with the ruby plugin. Curious to find out the reasons why
Eclipse isn't working for you, my quick guess would be the load path? If
that's the case, then just use the workspace but don't create projects for
each directory, just import the file directories directly so you can run it
from Eclipse and command line without mucking around with the load path.

I'm also using Cruise Control for the CI runs of our tests and  haven't had
to add anything specific. Otherwise, you could use scite. There's also
arachno, freeride and komodo's activestate. I haven't really played around
with the other ides, but there are some comparisons on the web. Scite i use
occasionally to edit files since it's included in the Ruby one click
installer.

hth,
Charley