I vote for:

require 'watir'
include Watir  (it's magic anyway, it won't hurt)
ie = IE.new (let people see a blank browser)
ie.goto("http://www.google.com ")

Show people the steps and show them later how to abbreviate it with a small
explanation of the Ruby idiom. It's also important to explain each line. What,
I believe, it will result in is a deeper understanding as opposed to just
knowing how to do tasks with canned food. A problem I have as a relative
latecomer to programming is that I know how to do certain things, but not why.
It makes problem solving difficult.

My 2 cents.

Walter