What's your preferred method and code for looping through source files?

Essentially, each row within my source file represents a bunch of
variables I want to use - whether they be various usernames/passwords
for login; information on various fields on my screen I want to
assert; etc.

I've used the following (once) previously with success, but I don't
feel it's the optimal code.  Surely there's an easier, simpler way
within Ruby?  Problem is I'm just trying to learn.

userpass_file = IO.readlines('xxx_INPUT_FILE_xxx')
  i = 1 #start on second line (line 1), the first line (line 0) is
column headings
    while i < userpass_file.length do
      array = CSV.parse_line(userpass_file[i])
      varable1 = array[0]
      variable2 = array[1]
      variable3 = array[2]
        DO YOUR STUFF WITH THE VARIABLES
  i = i +1 #increment for the next line
    end

Maybe the CSV parser will do a better job???  (My source file is
currently a CSV if that helps.)

- Jason