On 03/12/2008, at 1:35 PM, Breno de Medeiros wrote:

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Mark Nottingham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 02/12/2008, at 1:25 PM, Dirk Balfanz wrote:

Well, here is the scenario: I buy foobar.com for $3/year at
cheapdomains.com. I pay an extra dollar to have "email", which means I tell them where I want my email forwarded. I pick [EMAIL PROTECTED] to be forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I pay another extra dollar per year for "web hosting", which means I get a web interface on cheapdomains.com to create some web pages, which get served on www.foobar.com. I set up a couple of pages there
with pictures of my cats or whatever and I am done.

I now also want to use my email address [EMAIL PROTECTED] as my OpenID
identifier [1] because I heard that that will end my having to create ever-more accounts on the web. I am told that in order to get that to work I need to host a page called "site-meta" on my site with some weird- looking text in it that I don't understand. But, hey, I know how to get that served
off www.foobar.com so that's cool.

I have never heard of DNS.

Is that a use case we want to support?

Dirk.

[1] Let's assume that OpenID 3.0 and XRD 2.0 allow that and define some
way to discover OpenID endpoints from email addresses.

/site-meta on http://foobar.com/ doesn't (and can't, on its own) make any authoritative assertions about mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]; even though the
authority is the same, the URI scheme is different.

The email address is a distraction here. The core issue is independent of that.

vanity-example.com (hosted only at www.vanity-example.com) is a small
site and wants to enable all their user URLs
www.vanity-example.com/bob, www.vanity-example.com/alice to be useful
as discovery endpoints for user services. Thankfully some other site,
more professionally managed, is willing to provide discovery services,
aggregation, etc., on behalf of the users of these vanity domains.

You just lost me. Why is it important to have site metadata for a site that doesn't exist, if the e-mail issue is a distraction?