On 2 Jun 2013, at 08:44, harry wrote:

> Referring to the installation instructions, we have the following
> environment variables:
>
>    CABAL_DIR: C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\cabal (Windows XP: C:\Documents
> and Settings\XXX\Application Data\cabal, or: %APPDATA%\cabal)
>    GHC_VERSION: 7.0.3 (for our convenience)
>    WXC_VERSION: 0.90.0.2
>    WXWIN: C:\wxWidgets-2.9.3
>    WXCFG: gcc_dll\mswu
>    PATH: (add these)
> %WXWIN%\lib\gcc_dll;%WXWIN%;%CABAL_DIR%\wxc-%WXC_VERSION%\%GHC_VERSION%
>
> It may be worth considering how all these are used. In particular, are
> GHC_VERSION, WXC_VERSION, WXWIN and CABAL_DIR only used for setting the path?

I think that these indeed are only used for convenience, so we're down to three
environment variables:

• WXWIN (used by wxc on compile time
• WXCFG: (used by wxc on compile time)
• PATH: (add these) (needed on runtime so we can find wxWidgets and wxC
respectively)

So by rights, as far as building wxHaskell and wxHaskell apps is concerned
(sandbox or no), we need “only” really set the WXWIN and WXCFG environment
variables.  I forget what exactly for, partly to grab the complicated set of
compiler flags needed to import and link against the wxWidgets libraries.

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>