Hi,

On 02/03/2010 17:54, Jiří Pavlovský wrote:

One more thing: I forgot to tell that with the ppm package from
www.wxperl.co.uk I could not run my prog at all.
Error was missing wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll (IIRC).
That I resolved by replacing Alien-wxWidgets-gcc-0.50.4 with
Alien-wxWidgets0.50.

That is because the Wx you installed was from the ActiveState repository. I think you must have manually selected both Wx and Alien-wxWidgets from different repositories. I have fixed the dependencies in www.wxperl.co.uk repository so that, if you choose say Wx or one of the xs compiled modules - Wx::TreeListCtrl, for example, the correct dependencies will be installed. It is an irritation, I know, but I don't want to revert to building with VC6 because some wxWidgets features I use cannot be compiled using VC6 (the last SDK that works with VC6 was released Feb 2003). This can only get worse as wxWidgets development continues.

One thing I did notice - I only fixed the dependency issue last weekend - and I just tested it by uninstalling and reinstalling ActivePerl 1007.

The ActivePerl PPM did not pick up the new package.xml from the repository (or at least decided it was unchanged). This, despite me reinstalling to a completely fresh location. Clearly, 'uninstall' leaves stuff hanging around. I had to disable the wxperl repository in PPM and then re-enable it for new information to be loaded properly.

I fixed the dependencies in the repository by having Wx depend on the package Alien::wxWidgets::gcc and everything else with XS modules depend on Wx::gcc. The repository info for Alien-wxWidgets-gcc says that it provides Alien::wxWidgets::gcc and the repo info for Wx says that it provides Wx::gcc. So, provided the PPM manager has updated its info AND you don't manually add dependencies yourself, selecting Wx from ActiveState repo OR www.wxperl.co.uk repo should get you the right things installed.

I went to the trouble of ensuring that Wx::TreeListCtrl and Wx::ActiveX compile with the ActiveState VC6 builds + Feb 2003 SDK to maintain choice - I've no idea why the ActiveState build system fails to build these modules.

regards

Mark