Hi Mark,

The new Wx::PdfDocument has been working beautifully for a while, then I
decided to roll out to some other machines and experienced some problems.
Here they are:

1) I had an old Wx installation which had been installed with
Alien-wxWidgets and I upgraded with:

cpan -i Text::Patch
cpan -i Wx::PdfDocument

It said the install was too old and upgraded the 2.8.11 Wx::Perl to 2.9.3
and ignored my wxWidgets installation.  I deleted everything and reinstalled
with:

#!/bin/sh
#
#   Reinstall Wx::Perl - first reinstall wxWidgets
#
cd ~
# Remove previous version
rm -rf Alien-wxWidgets
# Download current version
svn co
https://wxperl.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wxperl/Alien-wxWidgets/trunk
Alien-wxWidgets
# Switch to Alien directory
cd Alien-wxWidgets
# Create build script wxWidgets 2.8.11
perl Build.PL --wxWidgets-extraflags="--enable-graphics_ctx
--disable-compat26 --enable-mediactrl --with-libjpeg=builtin
--with-libpng=builtin --with-regex=builtin --with-libtiff=builtin
--with-zlib=builtin --with-expat=builtin --with-libxpm=builtin
--with-gnome-print --with-gnomeprintui" --wxWidgets-build='yes'
--wxWidgets-source='tar.gz'  --wxWidgets-unicode=1 --wx-unicode='yes'
--wxWidgets-build-opengl=0 --wxWidgets-version=2.8.11
perl Build  # Download and compile wxWidgets.
perl Build install
ldconfig
cd ..

# Reinstall wxPerl
rm -rf /home/image/wxPerl
svn co https://wxperl.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wxperl/wxPerl/trunk
/home/image/wxPerl
cd /home/image/wxPerl
perl Makefile.PL
make
perl Build install

# Install predecessor for Wx::PdfDocuments

cpan -i Text::Patch
cpan -i Wx::PdfDocuments

But it never uninstalled the 2.9.3 and everything got confused.  In the end
I did a clean rebuild of Kubuntu 11.10 reran the script above and everything
worked fine,

I wounder if there could be some sort of warning here or question here and
the user given the option to manually upgrade his installation with his own
version of Alien?

2) I had a pre-release Wx::PdfDocument test installation.  I re-ran the
above script and the issue seems to be that the old binary has not been
removed or over-written and also occurs earlier in $PATH.  The I get:

Undefined subroutine &Wx::PdfDocument::PaperDatabase::GetDefaultPaper called
at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.12.4/Wx/PdfDocument/SetupInfo.pm line 283.

I can do a total rebuild, but how hard would it be to unpick manually?

Thanks and regards.

Steve

Apt 64, Alameda Santos 2081,
Cerqueira César,