Hi,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 06:39:41PM +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> On Do 23 Sep 2010 18:01:31 CEST Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
>
>> One possible solution:
>>
>> 1) use PXE boot for your thin clients, mounting everything over the network.
>> 2) in local GNOME, run only a bottom panel with menu for apps that
>> needs to be run locally.
>> 3) On the remote GNOME, run only a top panel.
>>
>> Now, instead of running a complete GNOME session, simply run
>> gnome-panel from x2go. That way, you'll have a "mixed-mode" session so
>> that users feel like they're doing everything on the same machine,
>> when in fact they're not.
>>
>> It is a work-around, but it felt quite nice here.
>
> NICE!!!! I will keep that in the back of my mind... (I am currently
> working on an X2go integration into LTSP thinclients...

The LTSP project provides the ltsp-localapps wrapper. If you are using LTSP
terminals exclusively[1], you could edit the menu on the server to use the
wrapper for some applications. This could be a simpler setup than the
"mixed-mode" approach and would work with other desktop environments as
well.

How do you want to integrate X2go into LTSP? It could be nice to add
something NX based as transport alternative to XDMCP and SSH. :-)

Best regards,
Erik

[1] Otherwise you would have to used different menu entries for terminal
    users than for local/workstation  users, which tends to confuse people.
--
Dipl.-Inform. Erik Auerswald                http://www.fg-networking.de/
auersw...@fg-networking.de Tel: +49-631-4149988-0 Fax: +49-631-4149988-9

Gesellschaft für Fundamental Generic Networking mbH
Geschäftsführung: Volker Bauer, Jörg Mayer
Gerichtsstand: Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern - HRB: 3630