Hi Alex,

On Mo 30 Jan 2012 15:11:51 CET Oleksandr Shneyder wrote:

Hm, I'm not sure. I think, the users should be able to decide it.

Yes, that's what I think, too. And, I also think the distro maintainers should decide whether libjpeg-turbo is used on the distro and also whether libjpeg is fully replaced by libjpeg-turbo or whether libjpeg-turbo is an option for the distro users.

Unfortunately, Debian does not have libjpeg-turbo in SID yet.

But we
can make configuration of X2Go with libjpeg-turbo be easier. For
example, if user have already installed libjpeg-turbo_1.1.90_i386.deb
from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg-turbo/files/1.1.90%20%281.2beta1%29/
, agent wrapper can check if directory /opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib/ exists
and export it to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I'm not sure that we should provide
libjpeg-turbo by ourself.

I am not sure on this...

Currently, I think, offering the packages for Debian in the nightly repositories should be all we do. People have a .deb based installation source for the library (which we already do for Debian squeeze, wheezy and sid) and once installed, people can use dpkg-divert to select which JPEG lib they can use. As long as we do not have proper test results and a proof that libjpeg-turbo is a great enhancement, we should not customize X2Go to use it.

Once we have test results, the distros may already have incorporated it in their archives and this discussion becomes pointless, anyway...

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B
mail: mike.gabr...@das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy: