Yes Mike Gabriel,

The .x2go directory and .Xauthority files are stored in the user's home
directory. I am guessing what is going on is that I could not connect as the
user "ubuntu" because that user does not have its own home directory on my
system. Instead it has a link to the home directory of the user "bitnami". If
you want to see what I'm talking about then spin up your own free bitnami
ubuntu instance and try to set up x2go and connect as the user "ubuntu".

Incidentally I have not been able to successfully get onto my existing 12.04.4
server using a Unity2D method. I've tried:
- logging in using the UNITY option
- logging in using the Custom option with this argument: gnome-session
--session=ubuntu-2d
- logging in using the Custom option with this argument: gnome-session
--session=unity-2d
These all seem to just kind of fail in various ways. UNITY option, I just see
the desktop background, and never anything else. Ubuntu-2d, same thing.
Unity-2d, I get a GUI error dialog box (that actually responds to clicks!) but
it says there is no session type called Unity-2d.

I can get to the UI, but it's too slow to use, when I do:
- logging in using the Custom option with this argument: gnome-session
--session=gnome-classic

I can get to the UI, but it doesn't respond to input at all:
- logging in using the Custom option with this argument: gnome-session
--session=gnome-fallback

I will try putting xfce4 on. But I'm one of those types that doesn't like to
give up on something. So I'm curious if anyone has any tips for how I can
successfully connect to the Unity2D-style gnome on 12.04.4.

- Jon