Am 10.01.2015 um 09:39 schrieb Mike Gabriel:
>> @Mike#1: Do you think we should open a wishlist bug to integrate
>> my workaround with x2goclient and its ssh tunneling? IMO, my
>> workaround is actually the "cleaner" way of printing through
>> X2Go, but it might require some changes to cups-x2go and some
>> server-side logic for a flawless integration.
>
> @Stefan: I have re-read your suggestion about tunneling
> LPR/LPD-like traffic. I don't think we should follow that road in
> X2Go because:
>
> o adding another SSH tunnel to the X2Go session DB is a PITA I
> have just gone through for telekinesis.

I'm not sure why it would have to go into the session DB? *headscratch*
What I was thinking of was a way to specify port forwardings in the
X2GoClient sessions file, the same way you can add arbitrary port
forwardings in PuTTY.

> o people on the client-side are required to do additional steps
> (intalling lpd from the Windows CD e.g.)

With any Windows version beyond XP, the lpd is already present on the
hard disk, so we could request Admin Permissions and trigger
installation - IF we want to print using a local lpd (which is what my
solution does, admittedly - but it could be solved differently,
without needing a client-side lpd, see below).

> o people on the CUPS server have to deal with the client-side
> printer drivers

No.  No, they do not.
They can use one generic PDF printer driver like CUPS-PDF or CUPS-X2GO.
Specifying the printer on the CUPS server is only neccessary if you
don't want to go the PDF way (for example, because the CUPS driver for
a particular printer has special features that you want to use, which
cannot be set by printing to PDF - but that's a problem the current
implementation also has, AFAIU).

> I think, that the current concept of remote printing is quite ok
> in these respects:
>
> o create a printable file on the server-side that can be handled
> by all sorts of clients o print that file on the client with the
> hardware/printer-drivers of the client

Dude, that's exactly what my solution does, too.  Only without the
kludgy fuse/file sharing requirement inbetween.

> The only question is: is fuse/sshfs the best way of shoving that
> printable over to the client...

No, no, and no.
Use a port forwarding, transfer the PDF as a bitstream, pipe that into
a local file on the client, if neccessary (neccessary == your
PDF-to-printer tool on the client can't handle a bitstream), convert
PDF data to a format suitable for the windows printer driver.
SumatraPDF is a GPL'ed PDF viewer that I've been using fo years now,
for this exact purpose.  Due to the lack of tunneling in X2GoClient,
I'm using Redmon to catch the bitstream and convert it to a temporary
file.
But since both SumatraPDF and X2GoClient are GPL, it should be
possible to integrate the relevant parts of SumatraPDF into
X2GoClient, at least for the windows build.  (For Linux and Mac, I'm
assuming that dumping PDF data into the local CUPS will automagically
trigger the required steps). That way, we could probably even
eliminate the step with the temporary file, and also add compression
to further accelerate the transfer of the printjob (I've piped print
jobs through gzip, bzip2 and xz before, the speed improvement can be
pretty surprising.  A PCL print job that would take 6 minutes to
transfer went down to 1 minute with bzip2.)

So, in short, I'd like to see (== have wishlist bugs for) two things
in X2GoClient:

1) An option to be able to add arbitrary portforwardings to a session,
like in PuTTY.  This would probably be handy for so much more than
just printing.

2) An integrated, GPL-based PDF viewer that is stripped down to "grab
bitstream, convert it to printable file for the locally installed
printer driver".

- -Stefan

- --
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243