On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Mike Gabriel
<mike.gabr...@das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On  So 25 Jan 2015 14:12:07 CET, Michael DePaulo wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 3:31 AM, Kristof Hardy
>> <kristof.ha...@catsanddogs.com> wrote:
>

>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> thanks for the new release. I just updated and looks like I can't connect
>>> anymore.
>>>
>>> I get an error on launching my Mate desktop: An unknown error occured
>>> during
>>> authentication!
>>> (I'm using pubiuc key authentication and I'm on Win8.1)
>>>
>>> It worked fine with the previous version I used:
>>>
>>> http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/pyhoca-gui/previews/0.5.0.0/PyHoca-GUI_0.5.0.0-pre02_win32-setup.exe
>>>
>>> Let me know what I can do to get debug logs to you or something? I'm also
>>> on
>>> IRC if that's easier. (harkx)
>>>

>>> Regards,
>

>>> Kristof.
>

>> I observed the following:
>>
>> If I configure PyHoca-GUI to use my password-protected key file
>> (header below), I get the error:
>> not a valid EC private key file!
>>
>> If I configure PyHoca-GUI to "Discover SSH keys or use SSH agent for
>> X2GO authentication", and then launch Pageant and load my
>> PuTTY-formatted private key into Pageant, I get the error you got:
>> An unknown error occurred during authentication
>>
>> Did you do the latter?
>>
>> Note that I can connect to this server using password authentication.
>>

>> -Mike#2

It appears that the key file and pageant issues are separate issues.
Let's focus on the latter.

> if you launch pyhoca-gui with --libdebug from a terminal (msys Git terminal,
> or cygwin shell), then pyhoca-gui will throw the "unknown" exception on the
> command line.

If you launch it from the command-line or the start menu with the
debug options, then it creates a log file such as this one:
C:\Users\mike.DEPAULO\AppData\Roaming\pyhoca-gui\PyHoca-GUI.1516.log

> It may well be, that the issue is solved in python-x2go 0.5.0.3. But not
> sure.

I am using the master branch of python-x2go, which is the unreleased
version of 0.5.0.3.

> Please report back what exact exception is thrown. Can I test pyhoca-gui on
> the WinBuilder machine?

See the log for the new version.

I have little experience with Python. Buy based on my Java experience,
this bug looks like this is an incredibly simple regression in the
paramiko library.
(0.5.0.0-pre02 had paramiko 1.14.0,  0.5.0.3-20150124 has paramiko 1.15.2)
https://github.com/paramiko/paramiko/compare/v1.14.0...v1.15.2#diff-9

I think line 221 should have "value" replaced with "descriptor", or
lines 222 & 223 should have "descriptor" replaced with "value"

-Mike