On 9/5/21 12:16 PM, Ulrich Sibiller wrote:
On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 6:02 PM Michael Eager <ea...@eagerm.com> wrote:

On 9/5/21 3:18 AM, Ulrich Sibiller wrote:
Well, that's not the same. Nxagent is derived from xnest and can be used
in the same manner. So for testing please try this:

1. Ssh -X fedoraserver in two shell > 2. In the first session  run  nxagent -ac
:5

I get an NX Agent window, completely black.  Session started message in
the shell.

3. In the second run xterm -display :5

I ran "konsole -display :5" and konsole opened in the NS Agent window.

no, please run xterm -display :5 and run konsole from there. This is
to ensure all started program will get the right display.

Xterm was not previously installed.
Installed xterm.  It displays an xterm window on NX Agent window.

In the shell, I get
qt.qpa.xcb: X server does not support XInput 2
qt.qpa.gl: QXcbConnection: Failed to initialize GLX
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 1 (BadRequest), sequence: 169,
resource id: 225, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 47

I think that these are all informational, not errors.

Hmm, not sure. At least the xkb thing looks suspicious.

4. In the xterm run startkde (or however kde is started on fedora)

I get a popup (not on the NX Agent window) saying "Plasma seems to
already running on this display".

That's because you skipped the xterm step. The KDE framework is
referring to the local display...

(Actually, I previously replaced the xterm step with running konsole
with the same command line options.  The popup was referring to the
target, not the local display.  Running konsole probably started KDE.
But it did confuse the test.)

Ran 'startkde' in the xterm window, I get message about XInput 2 and two
messages about skipping syncing environment variable BASH_FUNC_which%%.
The NX Agent window is otherwise mostly non-responsive.  Right or left
click does nothing.  The cursor does change from | within the xterm to
arrow outside of the xterm.  There is no window menu or title bar on
the xterm window.  None of the KDE/Plasma widgets are displayed.

If I run 'konsole' in the xterm window, it displays in the NX Agent
window.  There is no window title or decorations.

When I run VNCserver, the KDE/Plasma widgets are displayed.  Running
konsole does show a window title bar with decorations.