> Did you reinstall the same nvidia drivers or a newer version?

Right now I'm again running the original drivers (460.73.01) installed from
the .run file.

> IIRC there once was the necessity to chmod /dev/nvidia or similar to
> make it available to all users. Not sure if that's still required.

The permissions look correct. There are /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidia1
devices for the 2 GPUs:

# ll /dev/nvidia*
crw-rw-rw-. 1 root root 195,   0 Oct 19 09:58 /dev/nvidia0

> Just to be sure: are you connecting to the local X server (a so called
> shadow session) or are you starting a NEW mate desktop in addition to
> X server?

I don't think so but how can I tell? I am not connecting with X2Go/X11
Desktop Sharing if that's what opens a shadow session, but rather starting
a MATE session.

> WebGL creation failed:
> > * Refused to create native OpenGL context because of blacklist entry:
> FEATURE_FAILURE_OPENGL_1
> > * Exhausted GL driver options.
> >
> > Running "__GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=mesa LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 firefox"
> didn't get WebGL working, either, but did change the about:support output:
> >
> > WebGL creation failed:
> > * Refused to create native OpenGL context because of blacklist entry:
> FEATURE_FAILURE_GLXTEST_FAILED
> > * Exhausted GL driver options.
>
> Does this call work with glxinfo/glxgears?

Yes, it does. glxgears runs without crashing the session and glxinfo
reports it is using direct rendering. It appears to be using my client's (a
VM) X server for OpenGL rendering, is that right?

$ __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=mesa LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 glxinfo
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 256 bits)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 18.3.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

> > Any idea how I can get WebGL rendered in an X2Go session again? I would
> assume that there wasn't a solution using X2Go if I hadn't used it
> successfully myself mere days ago. I intend not to use VNC if at all
> possible.
>
> I am a bit puzzled about that blacklist entry. Maybe that is
> modifiable in about:config. I have checked my firefox88 and it does
> NOT seem to have this blacklist entry in about:config.
>
> Also check/disable the hardware acceleration setting in firefox.

I tried setting webgl.force-enabled to true and got different output from
about:support:

WebGL creation failed:
* tryNativeGL
* Exhausted GL driver options.

I've tried toggling hardware acceleration on/off but it doesn't seem to
make a difference.

--
Eric Shell
PBSci Technical Staff