Guy Story KC5GOI wrote:
I am sure this has been covered but I do not see it in the wiki right now.
I have follow the wiki on getting 1.9.9 installed on Ubuntu 10.04 and it ran
like a charm.  I want to be able to take a course map that has been created
as a jpeg, or gif and turn that into a map I can use in Xastir.  I do this
in WinAPRS all the time but I am trying to get way from WinAPRS since it has
not been updated in a long time and Xastir is ongoing.  WinAPRS uses a GIF
as the image and I have to create points to tie the image so it can place
stations on that map.  Can someone walk me through that for Xastir?

Hi Guy

This is how I do it, I am sure there is a better way though!
I have always used gif files.
Place your gif file in Xastir's map directory. On my system (Ubuntu 9.10) that is at /usr/local/share/xastir/maps, If you have a bunch of maps make a directory inside of Xastir's map directory to group them together.

Determine your map's long and lat in decimal for the NW and SE corners.
Determine your map's width and height in pixels.

Now create a text file which contains:

FILENAME        MapFileName.gif
#-------------X or W---y or V in pixels----lon-------lat
TIEPOINT        1        1            -64.65246  44.20570
TIEPOINT        500      600          -64.48096  44.08258

Substitute your values for filename and the NW and SE tiepoints.
Now save this as MapFilename.geo in the same directory as your gif file.

In Xastir Map-->Configure-->Index: Add New Maps
Now Map-->Map Chooser
Select your new Maps and set the properties for your desired zoom levels and your in business.

73

Glenn VE9GJ


_______________________________________________
Xastir mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.xastir.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xastir

Reply via email to