On 9/29/06, Tom Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I do prefer having local documentation in plain text, and use grep (and "less"
with its search function, and emacs, and vi...) to find stuff much more
quickly than I usually can on any wiki I've ever had the misfortune of
trying to get answers on.  As long as there is a consistent effort to
distill the contents of the wiki into offline documentation I'm fine with it,
but would hate to see the offline stuff go away or turn into the red-headed
stepchild.

Dumping Wiki info into an offline text file should be as simple as this:

lynx -dump {URL}

or:

links -dump {URL}

depending on which you have installed.  These commands will dump the
contents of the specified URL pages into formatted plain-text files.
We use it regularly in my LinuxFromScratch project to create
plain-text files from our HTML books rendered from XML Docbook.

HTH,

Jeremy, NW7JU