On 11/15/06, Tom Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think that the weather information is the issue.  Not sure exactly why it
should be, but I think xastir won't look past it.

I've noticed that xastir will not *transmit* PHG information along with
my weather information.  Other stations in this area that run APRS+SA and
weather transmit one packet with weather info, then a plain station packet
with PHG info, and I just guessed that for some reason PHG data extensions
aren't supposed to be after weather data; but a quick read of the spec just
now suggests that I'm wrong to guess that.  It's something that's puzzled me,
but never enough to get me to look into the code to see why.

It could be that xastir simply isn't looking for data extensions after the
weather data.  It certainly doesn't put them in.

The spec doesn't allow for extensions in a weather packet, only in a
position packet:

"A fixed-length 7-byte field may follow APRS position data. This field is an
APRS Data Extension. The extension may be one of the following:"

-snip-

"PHGphgd Station Power and Effective Antenna Height/Gain/
Directivity"

73 - Matt
KB0KQA