On 17 Nov 2006, at 15:09, Tom Russo wrote:

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:29:57AM +0000, we recorded a bogon- computron collision of the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> flavor, containing:

I'm trying your 'cheesy hack' now Tom on the LiveCD.  It didn't seem
to work initially as the Makefile in the 'bin' subdirectory wasn't
receiving the 'gcc -shared' instruction/directive.  Just to be sure
its not a weirdness on the liveCD's part, I'm going to start again.

Several hours later I discovered that my first hack only worked because I was doing it in a dirty directory. Turns out that the tarball for libgeotiff

Thats what caught me this morning.
has a config.in with a newer modification time than configure, and a makefile
that has the following rules:

  config.status: configure
       ./configure

  configure: configure.in
       autoconf

Which means that if you do a fresh untar and then do:
   ./configure --with-ld-shared="gcc -shared"
   make

the makefile does this:
  autoconf
  ./configure
  build the code

which is Just Wrong, as it undoes your command line option.

yes... got that.
At about 2am this morning I changed the wiki *again* to add the extra cheese
that touches configure first, so that the makefile doesn't rebuild it.

Well caught.

And as I restarted from scratch following your instructions, I now have a shiny new Ubuntu 6.10 Live CD made that I'm about to burn... but I need caffine first.

Regards
John

--
John Ronan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, +353-51-302938
Telecommunications Software &  Systems Group,  http://www.tssg.org