Tom Russo wrote:
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:15:52PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of
the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> flavor, containing:

I'll add my 2 cents into this discussion.

I use automaps. The way that I use them is that I have all of my "normal" maps
setup as automaps="yes". I have a variety of maps in this category:
 terraserver
 radar
 shapefiles of just the USA (with states)
 shapefiles for counties
 interstate roads
 other major roads
 tiger maps (divided by state)
 local repeater locations (dbf)
 gnis data
and have the min/max zoom set so I get more detail as I zoom in.

I turn off automaps to disable all of these maps and look at something
specific. When I'm ready to go back to my normal display, I simply re-enable
automaps. If there was a way to associate a collection of maps together so
they could be enabled/disabled all together, then I could easily do without
automaps.

A general "map set" tool would be a welcome addition. You've got automaps working for you as a single map set, and if it were replaced by a more general tool designed for that purpose allowing multiple map sets instead of a single on or off map set, that'd be cool. I'd certainly use it.

As much as I hate to cite ESRI tools, their method of check-box selection of available layers to activate, in a hierarchical structure, is a good one. GoogleEarth doesn't do it quite so well, but a big part of that is latency associated with their update paradigm.

gerry
--
Gerry Creager -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983