I've been thinking about ways to simplify map configuration, and an idea that just hit me was to combine TIGER shapefiles from multiple counties to make one huge shapefile, reducing the set to three or four per state. I know I'm gonna take a hit the first time I read a big shapefile, but rtree should save me after that first one.

Questions for the group: what are the reasons not to do this? I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any other than the one I mentioned.

Can I configure rtree's cache timeout value? I know there's not a slider on the timer menu and I would probably need to hack the source. Other than the obvious permanent memory utilization, is there any reason I shouldn't make rtree's cache live forever?

-Jason
kg4wsv