Another possibility is to look at Byonics.com. They make units that work great for APRS trackers.

They may be a possibility.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO

Jim Tolbert wrote:
Thank you very much to Curt, Jason, Tom, & Gerry for the comments.

So if I were to go with APRS/ Xastir /Linux...... It appears that I can download Linux and I have a laptop available. I can download Xastir. So the costs for each field searcher will be will be $500 ( Kenwood D7A ($350) plus a mapping GPS (Etrex Summit ($150)). Then do I need the same for the laptop or only the Kenwood D7A or something else? For 4 teams(two units per team -- one at each end) plus a dog plus two mounted searchers plus the laptop, I will need 12 sets or $6,000. For Garmin Rino 110 (5 mile GMRS) I would have 12 @ $150 = $1800. For Garmin Rino 520 (14 mile GMRS) I would have 12 @ $360 = $4320. Are there other options that should be considered with a cost between high & low? I am pretty sure we do not have the ability to homebrew equipment, so unless they are VERY straightforward, I think kits are out.

I don't know if this has any impact on the situation, but we have huge holes in our cellular coverage and our radio infrastructure is dated and heavily loaded also with holes in the reception.

Is the general consensus that I should wait until we can afford the Kenwood / GPS unit system or go now with one of the Rino options. I don't know what is available as far as funds...... I am just trying to get a good picture of the impact of the choices.

Many thanx to all ..........  you have been VERY helpful.........  jt