Despite Microsoft's claims to the contrary, SQLServer doesn't have a real spatial capability. Neither does MySQL. SDE/SQLServer does, but SDE isn't cheap. PostgreSQL plus PostGIS (PostGIS is actually a patch to the schema mechanism) yields a spatial database on a par with Oracle and even acknowledged to be that good BY Oracle at times, usually when Oracle has released an update to beat features in place already in PostGIS. And did I mention that PostGIS hasn't been out of beta but a couple of years and is still that good?

I think that, for most installs, we could have a PostgreSQL package that could drop in and then a script that puts PostGIS on top, then import the basic schemas.

I don't see it as more than a drop-in.

gerry