Tom Russo wrote:
On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 11:48:30AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of
the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> flavor, containing:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Tom Russo wrote:

It looks as if the packaged version of libgeotiff-dev on Ubuntu 8.03 puts the include files down a level under /usr/include instead of dumping
them right at the top level.  On my systems, where I don't use the packaged
versions, they're at top level. We'll pick 'em up Just Fine if they're in /usr/include, but not if they're in /usr/include/geotiff/.

This is pretty much a package maintainer issue.  libgeotiff wasn't even
available as an Ubuntu package for quite some time --- the wiki pages
for installing libgeotiff on Ubunutu spend a fair amount of time telling the
user how to do it from source, precisely because it wasn't available in
the package system for at least the last few releases of Ubuntu..

For what it's worth gdal is also non-standard on Ubuntu 8. Xastir configure finds the includes but cannot link the library because there is no simple reference to it as /usr/lib/libgdal.a or /usr/lib/libgdal.so. There are only the fully qualified file names - /usr/lib/libgdal1.4.0.a and /usr/lib/libgdal1.4.0.so.1.11.4 with a symbolic link /usr/lib/libgdal1.4.0. Xastir built fine after I created the simple symbolic links libgdal.a and libgdal.so.

Other people who try to compile on Ubuntu Hardy may find that info useful.

Dick