On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

There would be people out there with just a few of the CD's that
would like to contribute.  If we do it by state, as we're collecting
that state and growing the collection on the server the torrent
would change, making the distributed model less effective, right?

If we did it in 1-degree by 1-degree sections the way that the USGS
distributes them, this whole scheme would be much more workable.  We
might be able to get some of the DRG collection groups to contribute
data too 'cuz they'd be benefitting from ours.

My druthers are to collect just the DATA and the METADATA
directories from the CD's/DVD's.  The rest of the stuff on there is
a small amount of docs and several very old software packages for
viewing the geoTIFF files.  We should distribute only the map data.

Oh yea, I know what else has been nagging at me but I keep
forgetting to ask:  I saw in the docs that we can name a file or a
directory when creating the torrent...  Can we do an entire tree of
directories?

Also:  If Gerry or someone were to make scripts to create the
torrents automatically, which would be very cool, -and- if torrents
can handle trees of files, there's no reason we couldn't have a set
of torrents by state and another set of torrents by 1x1-degree
slice.  The state torrents would change as the dataset grew, but the
1x1-degree torrents would remain the same.

--
Curt, WE7U.                             archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer