On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 09:04:57AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> flavor, containing:
> debian, actually, does put things in different spots, some akin to bsd's take
> on where things should be, some in "logically" named locations.
>
> As root:
> find / -name xastir|grep bin
>
> THEN do a chmod on the file as Gale suggested.
>
> ***
>
> Ok here is the terminal:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo find /-name xastir|grep bin

You did "find /-name" and Gerry said "find / -name" with a space between
/ and -.

What that command is doing can be read as:

   Find, starting at the top of the directory tree, all files named xastir.

The answer will undoubtedly be "/usr/bin/xastir" which is where the pre-packaged
Ubuntu xastir will be installed.

Lots of folks are guessing that you've got a problem with permissions on the
serial port, but I am thinking that unlikely --- if you did a regular install
of Ubuntu, it set your group list to include the permission to write to the
serial port.

The issue is more likely with how you're configuring xastir.  What startup
and stop scripts have you selected?  What type of interface did you define for
it?  Is the baud rate set correctly?

You might want to try connecting directly to the serial port using a serial
terminal program for troubleshooting.  I don't think there is any terminal
program installed under Ubuntu by default.  I tend to install "cu", an ancient
thing that most folks here probably shun.  I don't know any other preferred
Linux terminal program but I'm sure someone here will suggest a better one.

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach