On Sat, 16 Aug 2008, Jim Morgan wrote:

No sir. I use the DB9 serial port.

Ok.  Did you track the problem down to permissions problems or
perhaps to something else trying to use the serial port?

Note that a lot of newer Linux systems have switched to using the
udev system which creates entires in /dev only for devices that
actually exist in your system.  This means that it creates them and
sets their permissions each time you boot.  If you're manually
changing permissions in /dev and they keep getting reset, this may
be your issue.

I only figured out enough to change the permissions on my USB
joystick so that each time the device is created I can use it.  I
had to go into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and change a file in there.

Interesting.  Yea, we create symlinks to the proper language
files for language.sys and help.dat.

Acutually this is a problem someone else had using Xastir with
Knoppix. I do not understand fully what problem they had so any
explanation I might provide would not suffice.

Roger.  I'll have to look into why we create symlinks each time we
run (we shouldn't do that), plus what the problem is with Knoppix
and some compressed filesystem with redirects... I hadn't heard of
that problem before.

--
Curt, WE7U.                             archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer